Ready to go behind-the-scenes with Urban Building Solutions founder and owner Hank McCullough? In this video, Hank talks about floor tile and the thought processes that go into choosing tile for a shower or a bath surround.
A Few Takeaways
- Designing a bathroom or a home is a fluid process. When you start to put the tile in, an idea may come to you to change things up.
- When choosing a tile color in a bathroom, you need to take into account whether or not you have natural light.
- In the first bathroom in the video, there are no windows which means no natural light. If you have a room or bathroom in your home that does not get any natural light, you are going to want to go with light tile colors to brighten things up. If you go too dark in a room with little light, it will make the room feel even darker and smaller.
- The second bathroom in the video has lots of natural light so Hank and his team were able to go bold and dark without making the bathroom feel small.
- Our team loves bold tile in the bathroom. We feel like it is an area where you can really have some fun and mix things up.
- To keep things simple, you can use the floor tile on the shower walls.
- Even if you are using the same tile, changing the direction of the tiles can make a big difference in the look. In the second bathroom, Hank had the tile going in a brick style-pattern to start. After the shower niche, he started to put the tile verticle.
- We always recommend putting in a shower niche or storage space to hold your soap and shampoo.
- Last but not least, this is your bathroom – have some fun with it!
Ready to Discuss What We Can Do for You?
Bathrooms are just one piece of our custom-built homes. We would love to talk to you about designing not only your dream bathroom but your dream home. Give us a call at 919-412-2230 or fill out our online contact form.
Looking for more bathroom inspiration? Check out our Bathrooms Gallery.